Sunday, February 22, 2015

Quick Zucchini Dish


So today after a very full day that included Wal-Mart. I faced the daunting task of cooking for myself. I was thinking maybe I would eat a waffle for dinner. (My inner nutritionist was waging her finger and tisk-tisking at me.) When out to the fog of exhaustion that had settled over my brain there wandered a zucchini. I had bought a couple because Mom had asked to pick one up for her. Dinner crystallized in my mind and I knew what to do.

I am fortunate enough to live in RV next to my fam and my Mom is a gardener. So in spite of the long dark winter there is a large planter of onions on the front porch. I grabbed a pair of kitchen shears and cut several green onion leaves. I walked back into the kitchen and there on the cabinet was an orange peel. It smelled lovely, so naturally I thought, “orange zest!” I sliced the zucchini and green onion. Then I grated the outer skin of the orange rind for its zest. Finally I added one of the greatest inventions since sliced bread, (drum roll here) squeeze garlic! I microwaved my dish for two minutes. The zucchini slices were cooked but still had some crunch. I added shredded mozzarella cheese and it was finished. It was wonderful! This is something quick and easy. As I was making it I was imagining all of the things that will be available in Mom’s garden soon. Add anything to hand that sounds good to you and you’re in business.  

3 comments:

  1. Quite inventive on your part and quite good as well! We can all begin to look forward to the garden--the sugar snap peas are up and the beets planted. There is a pot of cilantro coming along as well as one of cutting celery. Not to speak of the baby tomatoes, peppers and eggplants in their little seedling pots. And don't forget the little broccolis! What fun we're going to have! CC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I didn't realize the garden was so far along!

    ReplyDelete