Friday, February 27, 2015

Super Christians: Ordinary People



Mariam Ibrahim became an international symbol. Although she is very accomplished she was just an ordinary woman who did what was right. She paid for it enduring months of uncertainty and terror. I remember seeing her in news clips after she was freed. She appeared to be a little taken aback by people’s praise of her courage.

 I recently read a post by a woman who who had decided to be obedient to God. In her view it wasn't really a choice she was just doing what she knew was right. I read the comments so many people were telling her how brave she was and how much they admired her. I stopped and prayed for her. I know how hard it is to be transparent when other people think you are brave. I put the link to her blog in my tool bar and checked from time to time to see if there was a follow up post.  Finally, she posted again. She spoke honestly about her struggles to believe in God’s divine plan for her life. She is an ordinary woman following God’s plan and hanging on by her fingernails.   

I think my favorite Old Testament “hero” is Gideon (Judges 6-8). He was just an ordinary guy. His story shows his fear and hesitation to follow God’s plan but through him God did some pretty amazing things. He did not start out as a mighty man of God; instead he grew into one because he learned from experience God is trustworthy.  It is human nature to want to put people who seem courageous is a glass case; to set them up as heroes to be admired. I think we miss the point when we do that. Let us rather learn that obedience through fear is acceptable in the eyes of God, through our weakness we glorify Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment