Saturday, February 7, 2015

Thoroughly Modern Mommy

This is my Mother, Carol Carlisle. I snuck this photo of her reading an article to me from her laptop. I thought about who she is and Thoroughly Modern Mommy popped into my head. I still remember when she began to study books on nutrition. I was about five; no six when the gravy stopped appearing at the dinner table. (I missed that gravy and bread.) “Empty calories,” my mother declared. (How come all the empty calories taste so good?) Mom has always been ahead of the nutritional curve.
Last week she made this salad for Go Getters at church. One of the ladies asked her to email her the recipe. I saw the email and asked her to forward it to me. I liked her style and wanted to share a bit of my mom with the world.

Here is the recipe for Cauliflower Salad--sort of!

2 pkgs. frozen cauliflower thawed and cooked (micro waved) for 3 minutes. Stir to make sure it is warmed through.

2 tsps. minced garlic

1/2 cup diced onion

1/2 cup pitted olives -black or green

1 jar diced pimento-drained

2 tblsp. fresh parsley, chopped or 1 tblsp. dried

1/2 tsp dried oregano

pinch of red pepper flakes-to taste

salt and pepper to taste

dressing of choice

Toss all ingredients together, apply dressing to moisten well. Let marinate at room temperature at least 2 hours or overnight.

Now, I started with a perfectly good recipe, but I can never leave things as they are. I could have started with fresh cauliflower, but frozen is easier (and quicker). The recipe called for 2 tspns garlic, but we like garlic so I put in more. It called for olives, I started with black, then decided I didn't have enough so I put in some green ones. I could have used any kind of dressing. Our favorite is Sweet Vidalia Onion so that's what I used.
The point of all this, I guess, is that the cauliflower has very little flavor of it's own so you can pretty well make anyway you want it.  Adjust amounts of seasonings!  Add tomatoes!  Shredded carrots! Anything! Go to town!  It's all good!

3 comments:

  1. This is "salad as you like it". I think anyone would have to try really, really hard to mess it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep looking for the like button.

      Delete